google


Friday, January 15, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.


As we prepare to shop, party, rest, or whatever it is you may be doing this weekend, let's take the time to remember Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and all he lived and died for. Dr. King fought for so many of the things that we take for granted. Going to school, being able to buy a nice house, being able to start our own business, and being able to have the money we foolishly spend "makin it rain" in the club are just a few of the things Dr. King died for. Dr. King helped with the Montgomery Bus Boycott, founding the SCLC, and numerous other rallies and campaigns all in the name of civil rights for all. Dr. King organized the 1963 March on Washington, where King delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech. There, he raised public consciousness of the civil rights. He came to Memphis in 1968 to support the black sanitary public works employees who had been on strike since March 12 for higher wages and better treatment. In one incident, black street repairmen received pay for two hours when they were sent home because of bad weather, but white employees were paid for the full day. Dr. King was murdered in front of room 306 at the Lorraine Motel in our hometown of Memphis, TN April 4, 1968. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day was established as a U.S. national holiday in 1986


EXCERPT FROM "I've Been To The Mountaintop"
And then I got to Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers? Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

I HAVE A DREAM SPEECH

No comments:

Post a Comment