google


Thursday, February 18, 2010

This Hit So Close To Home.....



So I'm over at necolebitchie.com and see that peep are upset with Mr. Kevin Hart for some comments he made about dark-skinned women. Now I'm a dark-skinned woman so naturally I was offended. Eventhough Kevin Hart took to his twitter page to apologize, I am still a little salty! I went over to WSHH and found the above video of an episode of Tyra's show. The video hit so close to home guys. I was that little girl who hated being dark-skinned, the only difference between me and that little girl is my mom is light-skinned and hers is not. Growing up I was surrounded by women lighter than me. My mom is light-skinned and my sisters are also lighter than me. Just as the mother does with her daughter, my mom told me I was beautiful. I think the problem was I didn't hear it enough outside my household as a child. I wanted to be that girl guys looked at and said "you're pretty." I wanted to have that long hair. I was that little girl.
I went to google and googled dark-skinned girls and for some strange reason Young Berg's pictures popped up more than actual pictures of dark women. I'm sorry but when he made those comments last year I didn't really get upset. WHY? This is an ongoing problem in society and I don't believe it will ever end. I wish I knew where this division between skin tones started but I don't. In the video, Tyra talks about the images young girls have when they look in magazines, watch movies, or turn on the television. All they have is Beyonce, Rihanna, and Tyra to look at. You rarely see a dark-skinned women up front and center, and if you do the are not praised as much as the lighter women.
As I got older I learned to appreciate ME! LOVE ME! I love my skin tone! I love my skin, these hips, and my mind. I am using what God gave me and to the fullest! Love the skin you're in people. I swear I hate to hear "She's pretty.. For a dark-skinned girl" WTF?! Hell I'm gne start say the vice versa to that ish! SMH We have got to do better as a people. God made each and every one of us different for a reason!

Love,
D-Lovely

Wale ft Chrisette Michelle "Shades"

Song hits home!

No comments:

Post a Comment